Mallika Seshadri

Students gather in front of the Performing Arts Center to protest Trump.

Students Hold Walk-Out to Protest Trump

November 10, 2016

A walkout and protest was held by students in response to what they said was the racism, sexism and intolerance of President-elect Donald Trump today during third period. About 150 students participated in the event, demonstrating and speaking, said Assistant Principal Jeanne Jones.

Once the students assembled, they sat down and listened to a brief introduction given by the organizers. Then, many students expressed their opinions regarding the election and the presidential candidates, especially Trump.

One of the organizers, junior Cordelia Degher, said that the event was organized to “spread love and stand against the hatred that Donald Trump stands for and has expressed over the past year.”

To counter the anti-Trump rally, students who supported Trump’s victory or were in disagreement with the protest itself were also given an opportunity to express their beliefs.

Senior Nat Cornacchione said, contrary to the beliefs of many students, “the main goal of this isn’t to repeal the Trump presidency…. [this act of protest] is saying that ….we’re not just going to roll over and take whatever is handed out to us…. We can’t just concede to anything.”

Before the protest, student organizers notified Principal Bjorn Paige. In response, he sent an email to parents, students and teachers explaining that participating students would be marked truant as a consequence, he said. Teachers were asked to share this email with their students at the beginning of third period. As a result, according to Degher, the turnout wasn’t as large as it could have been.

Senior, Karla Peña said that, for her, this walkout was about bringing “our community closer.”

“I want us all to be united in this hardship,” she said.

“I just barely missed the voting. So, I feel like my voice hasn’t been heard. As a young woman in America, I feel honored to have this privilege.”

— Butler

“From what I could see, I was very pleased with the respect students showed each other,” said Paige. “It really felt like a community coming together to share opinions. What I liked most was that it felt in keeping with what our school was. Our students are more prepared to speak their mind and hear other views and not feel threatened.”

Senior Jill Butler, one of the students who spoke in front of the crowd, carrying a homemade poster, said, “As a woman, I’m appalled. The things that [Trump] said [about women] are just disgusting… I remember in middle school hearing boys say things like that to me and my friends…. Hearing a grown man say that is so different.”

Concerned about young girls growing up under a Trump presidency, Butler said “I have a little cousin and they are gonna grow up thinking [the mentalities Trump perpetuates about women are] ok, and that’s not ok.”

“I just barely missed the voting. So, I feel like my voice hasn’t been heard,” Butler said. “As a young woman in America, I feel honored to have this privilege.”

The idea to run the protest was very last minute and came from an emotional response to the election results, Degher said.

“Myself and the other organizers were very upset when we found out the news of the election and we felt we needed a way to express our disappointment and anger…. And a peaceful protest was the way to do that,” said Degher.

After the organizers decided to pursue a protest, they used social media to spread the word.
They decided to continue on with the event despite the backlash from some students on social media, Degher said.

Paige said that he was contacted by parents, students, and staff about the upcoming event asking for information about it.

“We got a few calls…asking what was going on,” said Paige. “Not everyone was concerned, I had a couple [people] asking what was going on, [and] were curious if the school would allow it or not. There were rules around it [and] they wanted to make sure that students were safe no matter their political views.”

Administrators were concerned with the safety of students. “We just wanted to make sure that, because [the event] was during the school day, we didn’t have people wandering on campus,” said Paige. “There were some people who were curious as to what was going on.

We had a couple of alumni come and a couple of community members come. We had assistant principals by the gates so they just let them know that we were trying to keep people safe. So they didn’t come on campus.”

Reflecting on the event. Degher said, “I’m so proud of the school for coming out… it was amazing”

“We’re proud of our kids,” said Jones.

“I hope that people will be more willing to engage in meaningful dialogues,” said Paige. “I hope that when all is said and done, that is what comes out of this. People can have differing opinions, can come together and express them in a public way and it will be okay. That is going to be the most important thing.”

View Comments (4)
About the Contributors
Photo of Mary Ford
Mary Ford, Arts Editor

Mary Ford has a dog and his name is Buddy. He is significantly more important than her. Antidisestablishmentarianism-opposing the church of England.

Photo of Mallika Seshadri
Mallika Seshadri, Opinion Editor

If you see someone trip over something, or even nothing, it’s probably me.

• T

TomNov 18, 2016 at 2:14 pm

hopefully they got in trouble for truancy . Being angry over an election gives you no right to leave class . What a bunch of hypocrites no wonder SDA is going down the drains .

Reply
  • S

SharonNov 12, 2016 at 9:36 am

I applaud the young people for not only for organizing and using this platform to express their political ideas of the tumultuous election that has hit our country but doing so in peaceful and thoughtful manner. However I cannot understand why they would be given a truancy for participation. Rather the school should have embraced and encouraged the young peoples active participation and activism that promotes their interest in expressing their opinions in directed action. It is hard to think that a short time missed from school would negatively affect their grade. Bravo young people!

Reply
    • T

TomNov 18, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Just because you are mad about an election is no excuse to miss class time . I wonder if you would say the same if it was pro trump students staging a walk out if Hillary won

Reply
  • P

PhilNov 10, 2016 at 5:27 pm

As a former journalist, the article should have included some of the comments from pro-Trump students. Journalists need to provide balance.

Reply
4