Fire Alarms Bring Fire-Themed Music

By Hana Chen, Business Editor

Throughout the years, fire alarms have come to be an integral part of SDA. They’ve sounded in the middle of tests, before a rigorous set of notes, and even during the PSAT.

The last fire alarm on Thursday occurred just as third period was ending. It was the regular routine: classes evacuated and walked out to the field where they stood in lines. But as students got ready to walk back to class, they were in for a treat: “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash was playing over the speakers.

ASB teacher Rod Keillor said, “Being the Activities Director, I just love music and want to have some fun, and make the school day more enjoyable. We thought it’d be a good idea to have fire and heat-themed songs as we exit.”

Because more fire evacuations seem to be inevitable here at SDA, Keillor has already started preparing for the future.

“The administrators and I all talk about what songs we want to play, so they’ve given me suggestions and right after that I talked to my fourth period college apps class…” Keillor said. “[Our list] includes ‘Disco Inferno’ by the Trammps, ‘Fire Burning’ by Sean Kingston, ‘Fireball’ by Pitbull, and back from 1981 when I was going to school dances, ‘I’m Burnin’ for You’ by Blue Oyster Cult.”