The Official Student News Source of San Dieguito Academy.

The Mustang

Homeroom Olympics Contestants Dance the Day Away

Story by Mallika Seshadri, Assistant Opinion Editor

Current standings as of Feb. 14. Courtesy of Jeanne Jones

Students wandered into the gym dressed in wedding gowns, sparkly vests, and other matching costumes for a Homeroom Olympics Event titled The Giant Dance Party today after first period.

Despite everyone’s strong and artistic efforts, the dancers from Spanish teacher Angela Vasquez-Herrera’s homeroom won the event and earned 500 points. Theater teacher Stephanie Siers’ homeroom came in second with 400. Third place was a tie between ASB teacher Rod Keillor’s homeroom and Social Science teacher Kevin Witt’s homeroom. Each earned 300 points.

Some students walked into the gym with pride; others just looked terrified and seemed to anticipate embarrassment. As students assembled in the gym prior to the event, teams started coordinating moves to amaze the judges with.

Then, the music began and students started dancing to a large variety of music ranging from “The Harlem Shake” to the Sugar Plum Fairy variation from Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker.”

The students who participated seemed to be having a ball and every once in a while, in the midst of jazz hands, flying hair and twirling skirts, someone who obviously had dance training would pirouette effortlessly and finish inches away from another dancer.

Some teachers, including Spanish teacher John West and English teacher Kerri Leonard, decided to join in and show off their moves.

Overall, the event was a lot of fun. Audience members beamed and giggled and student participants danced their hearts out on this fun Valentine’s Day event.