SDA Student Approached on Bonita Dr

By Olivia Olander, News Editor

A female SDA student was approached on Bonita Dr yesterday around 4:00 p.m., said Principal Bjorn Paige in an email to parents and staff.

According to Paige, “The man is described as a Hispanic male in his late thirties or early forties. He was wearing a t-shirt and red bandana. The car is described as having faded paint and a damaged front bumper.”

The man pulled to the side of the road in an older model white Toyota Camry and walked towards the student, who then ran back down to campus between the 30s and auto shops, Paige said.

The Sheriff’s Department is currently patrolling the area and will be particularly attentive as students leave campus over the next few days, Paige said.

“In the interest of safety, we encourage students to be watchful, to walk with others, and to report any suspicious activity to us and to the police,” Paige said.

According to Detective Frank Feliccia from the North Coastal Sheriff Department, the department is planning to increase patrols around campus.

Despite it being “old school,” Feliccia encouraged students to avoid talking to strangers if in similar circumstances.

Paige added that he didn’t know of any parents who had contacted SDA concerning the incident, and it did not come up in the parent-principal coffee this morning, and that similar circumstances are “sadly not unusual.”