Underclassmen Learn About the College Application Process

By Vicky van der Wagt, Sports Editor

College Night, put on by National Honor Society, was held in the library on Tuesday. There was a panel of current seniors who each had a topic to talk about including the college admissions process and the application.

There were many juniors and sophomores who attended. According to organizer and NHS officer Katie Wimsatt, “the turnout this year was much better than it was in the past, with about 60 students and parents in attendance.”

Senior Hana Chen first welcomed everybody in and then the seniors began to talk. Senior Eric Wimsatt talked about the benefits of taking the College Applications class offered at school. They included that having a teacher to guide students and remind them of deadlines is very useful, as well as having a designated period to work on them.

“The point of College Night is to allow students and parents who haven’t yet gone through the process of college applications to gain more information about it from seniors who finished it. It’s a great opportunity to learn more about the college applications and get advice,” Wimsatt said.

Senior Kate Sequeira then went on to talk about the Common Application, which is used when applying to most private schools.

Chen and senior Layla Gantus talked about the difference between public and private schools, the main differences being price and size.

Then senior Maia Nelson and senior Katie Wimsatt talked about UC schools and CSU schools.

Out of State schools, paying for college, interviewing, gap years, and Ivy League schools were also discussed.

The event will be held next year again for interested students and parents.