The Official Student News Source of San Dieguito Academy.

The Mustang

Wheatgrass: It’s Good

Malyadri

Malyadri

Story by Citlally Contreras, Staff Writer

Wheatgrass gets a bad rap. To some it seems like a crazy green juice only health fanatics and yogis drink. However, it’s time that more people know about its benefits for them and their body. This drink is healthy, tastes great, and replenishes the body.

According to, “Sprout for the Love of Everybody” by Viktoras Kulvinskas, the juice acts as an amazing body cleanser, which works to bring toxins stored away in cells or in fatty tissue into the bloodstream. It can really form as an important blood builder since it contains many enzymes and chlorophyll. This is amazing for athletes since just one ounce of juice equals two pounds of produce nutritionally.

It’s a great way to receive your daily dose of vegetables. It can also act as an appetite suppressant, keeping you full for longer amounts of time. For those who are slightly anemic, “adding wheatgrass to your daily diet can improve the red cell count and rebuild the bloodstream,” said Kulvinskas.

Wheatgrass isn’t just limited to drinking; it can be used for sunburns as well. As stated by Betsy Russell Manning in her article, “Wheatgrass Juice Gift of Nature,” chlorophyll ointment can be applied to the skin for a refreshing feeling while alleviating discomfort and infection. Even more so, it can help with acne, sores, and itching.

To continue, wheatgrass juice can stimulate peristalsis and improve the digestive process. This is because it raises the basic nitrogen exchange while also acting as a tonic that can prompt more active production in the body. Even “chewing of wheatgrass has the power to rid of sleepiness and to bring new alertness”, perfect for students with exams or preparing for a long day ahead of them said author, Russell Manning.
Personally, I drink wheatgrass three times a week because of this I’m finding myself with more energy. I don’t seem to fizz out midday and ready to take a nap since the wheatgrass is causing more alertness in my body.