The Mustang

Nicole Smith

Nicole Smith, News Editor

Nicole Smith is starting her third year on the paper and her senior year at San Dieguito Academy. She was Online Editor during her junior year, and is now the News Editor for print.

Some mediocre and mildly impressive facts about Nicole Smith:
She enjoys swing dancing with her friends.
She has a large horse named Elton, not named after Elton John, thank you very much.
Her room usually contains 30 or more gallons of fish tanks and the walls are properly coated with paintings she has made over the years.
One of her front teeth is an imposter.
She gives herself her own amateur haircuts on a whim.

All content by Nicole Smith
Pirates are Better than Ninjas.

Pirates are Better than Ninjas.

By Sam Winter and Nicole Smith
June 3, 2014

Every year SDA provides the opportunity for students to attempt to resolve one of the most important first world questions of the times. No, this is not a question of economics, chickens and eggs, existential...

cosmos

“Cosmos” Hits only the First Frontier

By Nicole Smith, News Editor
March 19, 2014

As a science groupie, when I sat down to watch the first episode of the reboot of Carl Sagan’s “Cosmos,” now hosted by Neil de Grasse Tyson, I anticipated forty engaging and stimulating minutes....

By Nicole Smith, News Editor
December 18, 2013

Voting for the student body election was wrapped up on Dec. 17 and the results of the election are now official. Austin Keillor will be taking over as president for second semester, as well as Bo Templin...

berry_flowchart

Is it a Berry?

By Nicole Smith, News Editor
December 10, 2013

sale

Black Friday Odyssey

By Nicole Smith, News Editor
December 3, 2013

Black Friday: the day I have always spent cleaning my room and doing homework, maybe reading a nice book; anything but leave the house. But this year, I am taking a chance and stepping outside to see what...

socks

Thick Seams, Gummy Shoes, and Plastic Tags

By Nicole Smith, News Editor
November 4, 2013

Among the many things that drive me half mad are socks with thick seams, gum on shoe bottoms, people walking through my imaginary horse, and, most of all, imbedded clear plastic tag fasteners. The same...

Today at SDA: Club Fair 2013

Today at SDA: Club Fair 2013

By Sierra Zounes and Nicole Smith
October 4, 2013

Students get a feel of the multitude of clubs at SDSA to satisfy their plethora of interests.

Travis

New Teachers Q&A 2013

Rebecca Travis What kind of student were you in high school? What kind of high school student was I? That’s a loaded question. I was generally a good student. I did well in class, pretty well behaved,...

A Big Honking Problem

A Big Honking Problem

By Nicole Smith, News Editor
September 16, 2013

It has been a while since I took drivers ed, but not long enough that I forget what the proper use of a car horn is. A horn’s function is to try to prevent accidents. It is there to make a sound that...

Mustang Musings: Rorschach Test

Mustang Musings: Rorschach Test

By Sam Winter and Nicole Smith
June 10, 2013

Hundreds of students pass by the new Rorschach test painting, made by senior Kelly Goehring, every day. Hanging on the 90s building is an orange and blue… well… To find out exactly what the figures...

Green Week Festivities

By Nicole Smith, Online Editor
May 8, 2013

This year’s Green Week, which took place from April 22 to 26, was filled with more events than in previous years and generated an abundance of positive feedback from students around SDA. Events, like...

Mustang Musings: Green Ideas

Mustang Musings: Green Ideas

By Sam Winter and Nicole Smith
April 26, 2013

In light of Green Week, we asked what students around the SDA campus would do to save the world. In response, many students had creative and silly ideas, while others talked about what they already do...

Mustang Musings: Senior Out 2013

By Sam Winter and Nicole Smith
March 15, 2013

This year, SDA’s senior class partook, once again, in the test of animalistic prowess and refined stalker skills that is Senior Out. Underclassmen increased in value and interclass socialization rose...

www.anoushkashankar.com

SDA Alumni Anoushka Shankar Performs for International Women’s Day

By Nicole Smith and Sam Winter
March 8, 2013

This year's International Women's Day will be commemorated by the song, "One Woman," performed by over 20 artists and musicians from around the world. One of which is Anoushka Shankar, daughter of Pandit...

Mustang Musings: Formal vs. Lamrof

Mustang Musings: Formal vs. Lamrof

By Nicole Smith and Sam Winter
March 1, 2013

Formal season comes but once a year. Read below to find out how San Dieguito's students celebrated, whether or not they attended the main event.   Formal:   “The lights were really...

Comedy Sportz players Daniel Alguire and Mitch Lange.

Comedy Sportz Alumni Game

By Nicole Smith, Online Editor
February 20, 2013

On Friday, Feb. 8, Comedy Sportz players from past years had the opportunity to practice and play in a game with their old teammates once again.This year’s alumni game welcomed back five SDA alumni to...

First Fridays with Hornig

By Nicole Smith, Online Editor
February 14, 2013

On the first Friday of every month, parents and community members file into San Dieguito Academy’s Conference Center to meet with Principal Tim Hornig and catch up with happenings around campus. Components...

Courtesy of Wikimedia

Mustang Musings: Super Bowl Funday

By Sam Winter and Nicole Smith
February 1, 2013

San Dieguito Academy has remained undefeated in football for the past decade, so naturally, Super Bowl traditions take on a range of forms for students. For avid sports fans, making bets, eating nachos,...

Mustang Musings: Semester Change

By Nicole Smith, Online News Editor
January 24, 2013

With the end of first semester approaching the Mustang staff went around campus to ask students what they will miss about this semester as well as what they are looking forward to regarding next semester....

Mustang Musings: Gun Control

By Nicole Smith, Online News Editor
January 18, 2013

In light of recent shootings, including the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, gun control has become a prevalent topic. On Jan. 16, President Obama released a proposal regulating guns that included...

Bridge Breaking

By Nicole Smith, Online News Editor
January 16, 2013

A bridge building competition is held annually between the students of Physics teachers George Stimson and Trish Hovey. After students spent weeks working on bridge construction, the first round of bridge...

Mustang Musings: Winter Break

By Nicole Smith, Online News Editor
January 9, 2013

The Mustang asked students and staff around SDA to share their most memorable and favorite experiences from the winter break.  Responses were varied. Students found experiences from traveling around the...

Mock Election

By Nicole Smith, Online News Editor
November 6, 2012

The results of this year’s mock election are in.  The election was held on Oct. 25 and Oct. 26..  Democratic candidate, Barack Obama, won the presidential vote with 70% of the vote.  Democratic candidate,...

Homecoming Flag Football

Homecoming Flag Football

By Nicole Smith, Online News Editor
October 26, 2012

Students defeated the staff in this year’s Homecoming Flag Football game.  The final score was 56-42.

Students gathered in the gym for the Homecoming Assembly.

Homecoming Royalty

By Nicole Smith, Online News Editor
October 26, 2012

Students gathered in the gym for this year’s Homecoming Assembly on Oct.19.  The homecoming candidates were introduced.  This Homecoming Kings and Queen for this year were announced at the Homecoming...

Students show off their groovy dance moves.

SDA Barbeque

By Nicole Smith, Online News Editor
September 20, 2012

Students from San Dieguito Academy gathered in front of the Performing Arts Center for a barbeque preceding the Comedy Sportz game on Sept. 14. The event included lots of food, music, and games. The...

Students stand up during an ice-breaker activity during the homeroom discussions that took place on Oct. 4 and Oct. 6.

Homeroom Discussions Bridge Differences

By Nicole Smith, Staff Writer
October 18, 2011

San Dieguito Academy’s first extended homeroom this year was held on Oct. 4. with discussions focused on creating a sense of community at SDA and recognizing and addressing problems. The idea came...

Remembering 9/11

By Nicole Smith, Staff Writer
September 15, 2011

The San Dieguito Academy band and ASB  held a Sept. 11 tribute concert during homeroom on Monday. Students gathered in the amphitheatre to watch and listen as the band performed three musical numbers...

Load More Stories