“Better Call Saul” Season Three Review

By Luke Oldham, Staff Writer

The past few weeks have been great for “Better Call Saul.” The AMC spin-off of the critically acclaimed “Breaking Bad” is coming into its own as a great stand-alone show. Season three has been action-packed with intense drama highlighting every episode.

Since Season three has started, tensions have been extremely high between Jimmy and Chuck. Episodes four and five are primarily focused on the trial between the two brothers. Chuck set Jimmy up to commit a felony and the lawsuit against Jimmy looks to be swinging in Chuck’s favor. Jimmy, however, comes up with a devious but genius plan to attribute to his claim that Chuck is mentally unstable. It works, and Chuck’s case falls through, with Jimmy walking out with minimal punishment for his wrongdoings. Chuck is left demoralized because he was made a fool of in front of his peers.

Mike is still loosely intertwined with Gus Fring, Hector Salamanca, and the cartel. He balances his family life with his dangerous ties, and manages to keep the two separated, but the question remains of how long he can keep this up. Earlier in Season three, Mike was being tracked by an unknown identity. In detective-like fashion, he managed to trace the source back to none other than the antagonistic “Breaking Bad” drug kingpin, Gus Fring. There is so much more potential with Gus’s character to be fleshed out in this season and in later seasons, and the excitement continues to build.

In the past three episodes, Jimmy has been struggling to get by due to his law license being suspended as a result of the Chuck lawsuit. Jimmy goes on a mission to sell TV ad spots that he had previously acquired for his law practice, but now can’t use. He takes on the identity of Saul Goodman and shoots, directs, and edits, ads for customers looking to promote their business. With the help of a rag-tag team of high school kids, “Saul” barely manages to get his ads sold, and the process is much more work than what he is being paid for. Business is certainly not booming for “Saul,” and we will continue to see how he manages to get by financially.

For “Breaking Bad” fans, it is starting to look like Jimmy is slipping into the sketchy, dishonest, shady lawyer, Saul Goodman, who we all know and love. Season three is shaping up to be the best so far, and the final three episodes should not fail to deliver on the hype. Be sure to tune into AMC at 10 p.m. on Monday to catch the next episode of “Better Call Saul.”