I Like One Direction

www.1dthisisus-movie.com

L-R, Zayn Malik, Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne and Niall Horan in TriStar Pictures’ One Direction: This Is Us.

By Wendy Disch, Staff Writer

I like One Direction. I’ve shed all embarrassment and feel the need to tell it to the world. Yes, the five impeccably dressed, tattooed members of the most successful boy band across the globe have officially become a part of my life. So when I found out that they were making a documentary, I couldn’t help but get excited. I rounded up my closest friends and admitted my growing infatuation and desire to see the “This Is Us” film. Luckily, they were more than accepting. Unfortunately, the night didn’t go quite as planned.

The first 10 minutes were the worst. High-shrilled screams rang through the room, not when the five Direction boys hit the screen, but as the lights were lowered. Then again at the first preview. Again, at the second. To be honest, I questioned whether it was worth it to stay. Surely these girls couldn’t scream for a full hour and a half, could they? Didn’t they want to see the movie? I was genuinely disappointed. I feared that I would be forced to spend the night attempting to read lips and apologizing to my friends for making them suffer through an overly hormonal theater full of young girls. But then it happened. The screaming stopped. Finally, I could enjoy this.

The movie itself is exactly what I expected: five boys appealing to the hearts of millions of girls around the world. We saw them perform in Mexico, walk around shirtless in countless hotels, and have some surprisingly sentimental moments with their families. You don’t have to like the music to like the band. What the movie really does is try to offer some insight, presenting the boys as five individuals who just happen to be the biggest boy band in history.

With all the hype around these boys, fans tend to feud over which boy is the best. According to senior Kirsten Walz, another SDA student swept up in Friday night’s crowd, “Harry’s always been a good looking guy. But after seeing this, we got to see that he’s actually really cute on the inside as well.”

But when Liam Payne expressed his concern with being able to find a girl who will love him for who he is, without the glamor or success of One Direction Kirsten (and a million other girls) felt more than happy to fill this spot in Liam’s life. When responding to this touching scene she said, “Liam is a sweetie and a hunk. He’s my favorite.”

However, it seems others would differ with Walz. Torrey Pines senior Laura Black claims that after seeing “This Is Us,” Niall Horan became her favorite. “He just seems like the funnest,” she said.  Unfortunately, even more debate surrounds the question of which boy is best as senior Danny Vasquez struggled to choose between Louis Tomlinson and Zayn Malik. “Louis’s so sassy. If One Direction was Destiny’s Child he would definitely be Michele. But Zayn looks like a wolf…a really hot wolf.”

Well, perhaps the great debate over the best member of One Direction will have no end. Of course, if you’re curious as to whom your favorite is, you could risk the hour and a half of ear damage and see for yourself.