Lila Shief

Protesters, including many SDA students, join the Encinitas March for Our Lives.

Opinion – Taking Action Beyond the March

March 26, 2018

Enough is enough. As 4,000 men, women, and most importantly, children gathered at Swami’s Saturday to March for their Lives and for the enforcement of stricter gun laws, our overwhelming need for change became obvious.

The march began in the Swami’s parking lot. After a quick introduction by the event organizer and no other speeches, people were either directed to the beach or down the street towards Moonlight – an entirely Californian affair.

Signs were passionately carried with slogans like “pack lunches, not heat,” “kids, not guns,” and my favorite: “This is a schoolzone, not a warzone.” The entire event stayed fairly true to what it attempted to be.

While they do effectively unite and empower participants, these marches do not promise action. They don’t ensure change. Only we, the people of the United States (or those of us 18 and over), can begin to provoke the results desired by the march at Swami’s and the marches nationwide.

As primaries approach in June, an opportunity to take action beyond the marches themselves has conveniently presented itself. So seniors, Go register! Every vote counts.