Courtesy of Jana Roper

Jana holding up her certificate!

Jana Roper Awarded Dean’s List Finalist

April 25, 2018

She felt honored to receive this award at the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition in Science and Technology) Robotics Competition in Boise, Idaho.

Mentors on Team Paradox 2102 nominated Roper, then FIRST selected her to be a semifinalist. To be a finalist thereafter, she talked with judges at the competition. Her name was announced, and she accepted this prestigious title during the award ceremony.

“The only way to describe my feeling is honored,” said Roper. “It still hadn’t sunk in that I had actually been nominated as a finalist until [Houston] World Championships when I met with other finalists.”

According to FIRST, Dean’s List finalists “are great examples of student leaders who have led their Teams and communities to increased awareness for FIRST and its mission. These students have also achieved personal technical expertise and accomplishment.” Roper, nonetheless, exceeded all requisites.

Roper, head machinist and design lead on the team, spent over 250 hours in the metal shop during the six week build season in January and February. In addition to her work in engineering, she helps within marketing and outreach. “I always try to spread the message of FIRST throughout my community,” said Roper.

Encouraged by her success, she hopes to improve the team’s organization and tenacity next year.

“Past our team I also wish to promote a STEAM education to young girls and boys,” said Roper. “I can’t wait to do even more with FIRST!”