New Teachers On The Block: Annelise Ihle

By Kevin Gallagher, Staff Writer

Annelise Ihle (“eye-lee”) joined the Spanish department this year after having been a long-term substitute here last year.

Ihle covered for Angie Herrera who was out on maternity leave. Ihle is a graduate of St. Cloud State in Minnesota, where she received a bachelor in Spanish Education. She says she was inspired to be a teacher after she had an “amazing teacher who taught about Guatemala, inspiring me to want to go there.”

“If I’m going to travel there I might as well learn the language,” she thought, which led her to finding a love for the Spanish language and developing a desire to help others learn it.

Ihle reports that her time at SDA has left her extremely impressed by the culture and the friendliness of both the staff and the students. Additionally, she has been astounded by the unity of students, referencing the tight-knit bond of kids from many different grades that she says is uncommon in other schools.

Ihle most looks forward to being a part of Prom after having seen the build up to it last school year while she was a long-term sub. Another uniquely SDA event Ihle is excited for is Exhibition Day because she is a self-described “crafting-type person.”

Ihle likes to spend her free time reading, doing yoga, and relaxing at the beach. She also enjoys spending time with her significant other and her dog, an Australian cattle dog that she says looks exactly like the dog from “Mad Max.” Ihle likes to be optimistic about life and say that a movie about her would be called “A Positive Journey.” She feels that she will always be a teenager at heart, which is why the song she’d sing to audition on “American Idol” is “I’m 18” by Alice Cooper.

Ihle says she is excited to experience SDA’s wonderful culture and adds that she hopes to do her part in contributing to the SDA community.