Language Airbands Entertain

By Kate Sequeira, Staff Writer

The bell rang to begin third period signaling the start of the third airbands show of the day. Performers gathered on the side of the PAC ready to jump onstage. Students appeared little by little, sitting in groups scattered amongst the grass. Then the show began.

An hour passed in what seemed like minutes and suddenly the winners were being announced. Third place: ASL Pitch Perfect. Second place: Japanese Four. First place: AP Spanish Las Mujeres Solteras. Applause broke through the air as the bands ran up to the stage.

After weeks of preparation from the many performers, the long awaited Airbands Day finally came. Thursday was full of elaborate costumes and props ranging from grass skirts to wizard costumes to silly string.

“It was really unique how students performed and represented different languages,” said freshman Vicky van der Wagt.

Throughout the day, groups of students from Spanish, French, Japanese, and ASL performed to songs in the language that they were taking.

“It was entertaining to perform and watch others,” said freshman Lucia Niño.

Airbands allowed language students to get creative. Whether with their songs, props, or costumes each airband group had the choice to bring in their own ideas making each performance just as unique as the next.

“I enjoyed being able to participate in this festive contest. I am happy that the participants were able to make the crowd smile and laugh,” said freshman Chloe Canler.