A Day in the Life of Writing Tutor Laura Alguire

Sonia Rathee

Alguire helps out freshman Anna Duan in the writing lab.

By Sonia Rathee, Staff Writer

Writing lab tutor Laura Alguire’s daily routine starts off by checking her calendar and emails. Every day is different for Alguire because on Mondays and Thursdays she works at Park Dale Lane Elementary school and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday she is at SDA helping students with their school assignments.

She helps with a range of assignments: essays, projects, book reports, DBQs, news articles and research papers. Sometimes teachers will ask the writing lab tutor to come into their classrooms to look over students’ essays. This week an English class called her in to help freshmen students. The tutor made a sign-up sheet for the class so that whoever wanted to see her during that period could just sign up.

“Tell me a little bit about this essay and is there anything specific that I should be looking for?” Alguire asked a student while she looked at her essay last Friday. That’s how Alguire routinely starts her work with students. Then she will take a couple of minutes to read the essay to herself and make edits as she goes along. When she’s done reading, she will give her opinions about the essay and what parts she liked and what needs to be fixed. Depending on every essay, she looks for certain things. For example, in a stylistic analysis essay she will look for argumentation and the use of evidence.

When the students don’t know what to do or have no planning done at all, she looks over the prompts with them, brainstorms for ideas and might even help them start an outline. If time permits, she will even help start a first draft.

Alguire receives approximately 15 students every week. If there are no students present, she works on the SDA writing blog, sends emails to teachers, or brainstorms ideas for more advertisements.

Students such as senior Becky Watson who have gotten feedback from Alguire have said that she is very helpful and gave really good advice, which makes the assignments even more flawless.

“Helping student with their college essays is my favorite part because I get to learn a lot about the students through their essays” said Alguire.

If students are having trouble with their writing assignments, and feel like they could use some guidance, they can schedule a session at the writing lab during her hours. If they need help with research papers, analytical papers, creative writing assignments, DBQs, news articles or book reviews, they can stop by for some help. Alguire can also give feedback through email if students are unable to schedule an appointment, but she prefers to talk in person.

The hours are Tuesday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. (Late start 9 a.m. to 1p.m.) and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students can also email Alguire for help at sdawritinglab@sduhsd.net or schedule an appointment on the online appointment calendar.