Students Donate Blood

By Vicky van der Wagt, Sports Editor

The second blood drive of the year took place inside the SDA gym today. Over 50 students successfully donated through the San Diego Blood Bank.

For many, the idea of needles and/or blood immediately suppresses the urge to donate. Other times, many students who want to donate are turned away if they feel sick, or if their heart rate is too high.

During the blood drive, ASB students kept students distracted while they were donating, and brought them water and food.

After filling out the required forms, and testing iron levels, heart rate, and blood pressure, it takes 10 to 15 minutes to collect a pint of blood. Afterwards, students are required to stay at least an extra 15 minutes to make sure they are in healthy condition to go back to school. Usually, the entire process takes about one hour.

For some, the sudden drop in blood pressure causes them to pass out while or after donating. Senior Veronica Ness passed out while donating blood. “It felt like I was going into a dream. I kind of remember, I was talking to someone else and they were asking me how they were doing, and I just spaced out completely,” said Ness.

She didn’t remember passing out, and didn’t realize she did until she woke up confused and the nurse told her what happened.

Although she wasn’t able to complete the blood donation, she wants to do it again. “Might as well,” concluded Ness.