Taylor Rudman

SDA students put their artwork on display in a showcase at the Encinitas Community Center.

Student Art Displayed at Encinitas Community Center

September 19, 2017

SDA student artwork is being exhibited at the Encinitas Community Center now until October 18th. The gallery is in the main hallway and features about 20 works of varied mediums.

SDA Art teacher Angela Jackson said, “We always have our gallery here on campus, which is fantastic, but it’s also really nice to have our artwork out in the community.”

The chance to have their art exhibited off-campus was an exciting opportunity for some students. Sophomore Marina Alberti, who spent a month working on her large acrylic painting, said, “It makes me feel good that people get to see my art.”

“I thought it would be a good idea to get my work out there,” senior Ale Adame said. “It is a cool opportunity.” Adame entered an architectural drawing of Seattle inspired by David Hockney.

Many students dedicated time during the summer to complete a piece for the showcase. “With the concept of a gallery, it really takes courage to show your artwork,” Jackson said. “You have to feel comfortable enough to show something that can be very personal, something that you’ve worked on for weeks, months.”

SDA also partnered with the city of Encinitas to showcase student art last year in City Hall. A few of Jackson’s students that had entered last year entered this year as well. The student art galleries will be an annual event.

Jackson was pleased with the results of the showcase: “I was just really impressed with their initiative and their willingness and commitment to arts.”