Savannah Feuling

Newest Writing Lab Tutor

December 19, 2017

With a big, blue logo placed on the door, light flooding in through the windows, and art hanging on the walls, the writing lab comforts students searching for help with their assignments. One student sits in the chair with a paper copy of their essay and a chromebook displaying it for changes to be easily made. The paper copy is littered with arrows, comments, and underlines. “Think back to that moment… How did you feel?” a voice says, reminding the student of the things that matter – not just the writing, but the purpose behind it.

SDA’s new writing lab tutor, Sam Shrader, graduated from SDA in 2012 and from Cal Poly in 2016. He can help you with anything related to writing regardless of which class it’s for.

Found in the writing lab in the library, Shrader helps students with their writing assignments from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. He recommended you make an appointment on the website (sdafoundation.com/writinglab), but if you aren’t able to, you can just walk in during the open hours. If you prefer to get writing help through email, you can contact him at sdawriting@sduhsd.net.

he recent alumni majored in literature and minored in history in college. He started tutoring in 11th grade at SDA, starting as a peer tutor for an English Honors class. He continued to tutor throughout college and is now a substitute teacher for SDUHSD. He said he’s open to a teaching career in the future and would also like to write a novel someday.

As for his life outside of tutoring, he said his favorite fictional character is Sal Paradise from “On the Road.” When asked about his biggest accomplishment he said “I really think that the best thing that I’ve accomplished is that I don’t feel super lost as compared to the way I felt after graduating. I have a better idea of where I see myself going… and I think it’s working with students.”