Bathroom+etiquette+was+one+of+the+bigger+topics+today+at+the+forum.+

Photo Illustration Devlin Ott

Bathroom etiquette was one of the bigger topics today at the forum.

Traditions, Rumors, and Bathrooms: December forum

December 14, 2018

At the student forum, students complained about the lack of bathroom etiquette and talked about restoring a classic San Dieguito tradition Friday.  Senior Drew Atkins and Junior Charlotte Hou helped guide the conversations to resolution.

Atkins opened the floor by mentioning the possibility of reinstating “Senior Wishes,” sponsored by ASB. Senior Wishes used to be an event put up by ASB, where each senior would make a wish and have ASB grant them.

From getting the opportunity to walk on the PAC railing to having someone stalk and follow you, the possibilities are endless for the upperclassmen, students said. Senior Melia Ennis, a forum member, proposed that there should be freshmen wishes as well. “If we want freshman to appreciate our campus and school,” said Ennis, “we should have them know that we don’t ignore the lower-classmen.”

Some argued that “Freshmen Wishes” would take away from the significance of the senior  event. In place of “Freshman Wishes,” seniors Logan Thralls and Julia Herold proposed an alternate solution by the name of “Senior Buddies,” where volunteering seniors would give gifts to incoming freshman.

Senior Louis Milne brought up the conduct held by some that disrupt the peaceful setting of the bathroom. “One time I went in there and they threw wet paper towels on the wall closest to me,” said Milne. “They even threw water over the stalls to get me wet, what are you, five?”

Others noted that the bathrooms aren’t the cleanest either, graffiti sprawled against the stalls and the tile. Assistant Principal Celeste Barnette asked students specifically which bathrooms they were, assuring the students that one way or another the problem will be dealt with.

Students were also told that Sunset would be moving into the P buildings when the new classrooms open.

Also, Jeremy Wright, art teacher, said more visual arts class will be introduced next year. Wright is contemplating the possibility of creating SDA’s first ever fashion class. “If you have any questions, please come to me and give me input,” Wright said.  If students do want an art class, Wright has asked that they personally give him insight on the proposal, and will ultimately be up to the art department if the class is put in to scheduling.

What’s in store for the forum next month? Those involved will discuss cohort scheduling, trash can lids for the parking lot, and the importance of the writing lab in the media center.