Sylvia Young

Getting work done on time is hard. Even if that work is a story about why you shouldn’t procrastinate.

Late Work: Double the Time, Half the Credit

January 25, 2018

With our 4×4 schedule, doing homework for all of your classes in one night can be a lot to handle. This causes students a large amount of stress, leading them to procrastinate because of the overwhelming amount of work they have to turn in the next day.

Some teachers offer half credit for late work, or even full credit with a valid excuse. With these options on the table, students feel inclined to put some of that work to the side in hopes of getting at least some credit for their assignments or an extended amount of time to complete it.

Even with this option, students should not take this route. Typically, teachers tend to assign the same amount of homework the next night, leaving you with more work than you started with; and less reward.

If your teachers show the homework for the week in advance, plan accordingly with your social activities and if you have the time to complete an extra night’s worth of homework, take advantage of it. This will leave a ‘free’ day to hang out with your friends and relieves the stress of needing to get homework finished. 

From my personal experience, turning in late assignments has not worked out in my favor. My assignments tend to pile up and I am left begging for more time to complete them. This is also the same with my studying habits. I put off studying until the last minute and feel unprepared going into exams that could seriously affect my grade and GPA.

I have learned from these mistakes and plan to start off the next semester following these tips so my grades and social life stay steady.

Typing and editing courtesy of Corinne Andrus.