Golden Fight for the Golden Stick

September 26, 2018

SDA Girls Field Hockey took on CCA at home this Tuesday, ending in a close match. Having no goals scored on them this weekend at the UC Tournament, field hockey had a lot riding on their home game versus CCA to keep their title as the number 1 team in Division 2. However, through an even match, CCA took the win, ending with a score of 0 to 1.

In the first half, multiple corners were taken by CCA, but goalie, senior Angelina Saunders, and defensive players blocked every attempt of the shots taken. Near the end of the half, SDA had  a break away down the field, achieving a corner hit by junior Carolyn Kohn to senior Gabby Vonder to take the shot but she was unable to score, ending the half 0 to 0.

“I thought we had a fair fight and it’s important that we worked and will keep working together as one unit,” said Jessica Vance.

Kicking off the second half, CCA had a close chance of scoring, missing the goal by only inches. Despite the ball being on CCA’s half, SDA still couldn’t score. Sophomore, Lily Spence, dribbled around three defenders along the wing, taking a shot that resulted in a corner for SDA. A clear shot was made off the hit, but the referee called a penalty against  SDA before the ball reached the goal, leaving the score still tied.

Players kept their hopes up as the half continued, but in the last 6 minutes CCA crossed the ball into the box off a penalty for a quick shot and goal.

In the last minute, the ball was on CCA’s side, but a call against SDA slowed the game down and they weren’t able to get the win.

“We always work well as a team despite oppressive challenged we may face because we stick together,” said Ada Ellisman.

At the end of the game, CCA took home the “Academy Stick” for the seventh year in a row. The bedazzled, glitter field hockey stick is a CCA and SDA tradition, given to whoever wins. Although SDA didn’t get it this year, they are determined to win it next year, focusing on the positive for now.

“I’m proud of my team and just happy that the field hockey program is growing,” said Spence.

The team’s next game is on Thursday, September 27 at 5:45 against Del Norte.