Photo Courtesy of Google Images

Photo Caption: Having a daily schedule can help you in more ways than you think.

The Importance of Maintaining a Routine

April 21, 2020

The COVID-19 pandemic has consumed a majority of everyone’s lives, ranging from constant news broadcasts to a complete setting change in terms of work or school. It can become overwhelming when your previous routine is disrupted and social distancing is the new normal. With comfy pajamas, technology, and snacks readily available, it is extremely easy to stay in bed for hours on end. However, trying to maintain a schedule every day is one step towards normalcy in an abnormal environment. 

Start with a “bell schedule”. Now that there are no strict times to be in a classroom setting, try to create it at home. The distance learning schedule being followed by SDA teachers is a perfect starting point. Designating periods of the day for virtual instruction, homework, and studying is a great way to establish some consistency and help with time management. Any time left over in the 2 hour blocks can be used to relax, listen to music, or even grab a snack before the next class starts. 

It is important to also set aside certain times for socializing, similar to passing periods or lunch. The wide variety of platforms to talk with friends or family with make it easy to stay connected. Even a simple 10-minute check in on FaceTime is valuable more than ever for remaining present and involved in the lives of those you care about. 

With some essentials in your new routine, feel free to add more personal elements. Maybe you want to stay fit and do at-home workouts rather than at the gym, or painting is something you want to master. There are an infinite amount of opportunities to be creative when choosing how to spend your free time, just try to assign this free time to certain hours of the day. Think of this time as the weekend, scheduled with a few fun activities to do each day.

A daily routine should be complemented with a nightly routine as well. Make sure at least 8 hours of sleep is included, as it can serve as a reset for an even better and more productive tomorrow. Taking time for yourself is now essential with the lack of social distractions in your daily life. Start a journal, get some fresh air with a short walk around the block, or bake some desserts to enjoy for the rest of the week (if they last that long). 

Everyone in the country is feeling uncertain as to when life will return to normal. The purpose of a routine during this unprecedented time is to withhold some control when everything might seem out of your control. 

If you or a friend are struggling during this time, please don’t hesitate to ask for help. Many helpful resources are available through the SDA Counseling website, such as virtual meetings with our school psychologist, student support specialist and counselors if you need to talk to a trusted adult.