SDA vs. Cathedral Catholic Boys Varsity Soccer

By Jack Hauser, Staff Writer

SDA boys soccer had a non-league home game on Tuesday night at 6:30 against Cathedral Catholic High School. The Mustangs and the Dons both entered the game with a record of 2-1-1 with SDA having wins over Steele Canyon and La Jolla.

The score finished 2-3 in favor of Cathedral, but the game was exciting and entertained the relatively large crowd size for a cold weeknight game.
The Mustangs started off hot, scoring a goal in the first minute of the game off of an incredible long-distance shot by Sophomore Miles Lavake. Soon after, Senior Patrick Rahilly barely missed a header wide that would have kept momentum in SDA’s favor.

The Dons responded by forcing an impressive save from Senior Goalkeeper David Schlesinger, who was able to stick his right leg out at the last moment to deflect the ball out of bounds.

The final 10 minutes of the first half were eventful. Cathedral scored with 8:30 left in the half to tie the game, but Rahilly put SDA back on top with a goal less than two minutes after. Cathedral then tied the game up once again with less than a minute remaining.

In the second half the pace of the game slowed down, but both teams shared possession of the ball evenly. Schlesinger continued his impressive performance but Cathedral scored again 28 minutes in, making the score 2-3 for the Dons.

Only two minutes after that the Mustangs earned a penalty kick, but Senior Jake Davis had his shot saved by the opposing keeper.

The game finished shortly after, and SDA shook hands at centerfield with Cathedral. SDA continues its season on the 16th, when they have a tournament game against Olympian High School.