The Official Student News Source of San Dieguito Academy.

The Mustang

“Wonder Woman” Review

Story by Leah Haverkamp, Staff Writer

In the recent flood of superhero movies, several have managed to be quite good — but “Wonder Woman” ranks as one of the few great ones.

“Wonder Woman” is based on the story of Diana, who, was a princess on the sheltered, island of the Amazons where only badass, beautiful women live. When an American pilot crashes onto the island and tells of a raging war in the outside world, Diana is convinced she can help and leaves the island alongside the pilot. It is the outside world where Diana learns the truth about her past and realizes her true potential, becoming Wonder Woman.

DC has really produced a winner. Like many before it, Wonder Woman comes from a comic book story, but it’s not one we’ve heard a dozen times. It’s a classic story yet not overplayed.

Gal Gadot’s turn as Princess Diana of Themyscira was a refreshing standout amidst the sludge of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and she’s as good, if not better, headlining her own solo adventure. Chris Pine’s role as the pilot was also very well done. He and Gadot make a great dynamic duo. It’s a film that not only improves upon many of the seemingly built-in shortcomings of superhero movies, but also mixes smarts, sentiment, and adrenaline in the best Hollywood style.

DC did a great job of depicting Diana as an agent of power instead of an object. Even as skimpy as her outfits are, Gadot is depicted as a strong and powerful woman which was exactly how the character should be portrayed.

DC should be thankful that they had such amazing actors to make up for the plot and storyline that unfortunately lacked in a few places. The movie started out very strong with the island of the Amazon Women and continued strong as Diana and Steve(the pilot) arrived inLondon.However, it was towards the middle of the movie where the story began to go downhill. The end of the movie became unrealistic and DC went a little overboard in special effects. Overall, as superhero movies go, “Wonder Woman” is one to see. And even though the movie started out better than it finished, the acting was phenomenal and it was entertaining. Combining both warmth and fierceness, “Wonder Woman” is an action-packed superhero movie that is guaranteed to be a summer blockbuster hit.