Nohemia Rosales

The gallery displays art by students and focuses on themes related to womanhood, including this piece by junior Bridget Brightfield.

Femininity and Coming of Age in the Modern Era

March 15, 2018

In honor of Women’s History Month, senior Vanessa Machin created an art gallery next to the Mosaic with a collection of pieces from various artists titled “Femininity and Coming of Age in the Modern Era.” The gallery opened on March 8, National Women’s Day, and will be open until March 30th. The gallery showcases young female artists at SDA, featuring themes of coming-of-age and female empowerment.

The styles vary from conceptual art to portraits. Adding to the main concept, the artists have descriptions next to the art pieces highlighting the way they grew, their progression towards femininity and how they are empowered. The descriptions are personal and of varying lengths and include how their art ties in to the theme of the gallery.

Due to the fact that every art piece has a description, several themes are able to be explored and more personalized. Some of the themes touched on by the descriptions include growth, self-expression, sexuality, clothing, confidence, and challenging society’s views and portrayals of women. Some themes are repeated within the descriptions, but are each expressed in a different way within the artist’s narrative. The gallery is available to view all school-day (8:00 am to 4:30pm) and is open to all.