The Official Student News Source of San Dieguito Academy.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Speech and Debate players place first

Speech and Debate team members and teacher Lily Bolig stand proudly with their trophies after last weekend's tournament.

Photo courtesy of Lily Bolig.

Photo courtesy of Lily Bolig.

Photo courtesy of Lily Bolig.

Speech and Debate players place first

October 17, 2018

Three novices from SDA’s speech and debate placed highly Saturday at a contest at Grossmont College.

The competition was split up between novice, first-year team members, and varsity.

The varsity team did not end up placing in the tournament. Everyone on the novice team placed.  Freshman Rose Bychowski got second in oratorical interpretation, sophomore Priscilla Avila got first in oratorical interpretation and sophomore Halle Schaffer got first in dramatic interpretation.

All three novice competitors were nervous beforehand. ““I was super nervous before all the rounds, like I even told Rose I was like ‘I’m gonna throw up. I’m gonna throw up.’ But at the end of the day, it was really fun and a really good experience,” Avila said.  

In the end they all had a good time and learned a lot from the experience. “I’ve learned so much being on the team and in the class, and it’s been fun too!” Bychowski said.