Students lined up in chairs and got their hair put into small ponytails that are easier to cut off.

Students donate their hair to those in need

March 29, 2019

Bubbly pop music played in the background and the afternoon sunlight glared down at
the students. An ASB student walked around, handing out brightly-colored Otter Pops to help the
crowds of students cool off. They were gathered around the courtyard to watch their peers chop
off their flowing waves of hair for the program Hair for Care. Students lined up, anxiously
awaiting the moment they would sit down and have fistfuls of hair cut off by one of the
hairdressers.

Hair for Care is a program that cuts hair and makes them into wigs, then donates them to
people in need. Today, Hair for Care visited SDA during lunch, and provided students
with the opportunity to give at least eight inches of their hair.

Some students are cut their hair because they want a change. “I’ve had an attachment
to my hair for a long time, it’s kind of a comfort thing for me, and I just want to step out of the
box and cut my hair. Especially at SDA, where I know I’m going to be accepted for it. I want to
be different,” said Zoe Duncan, freshman.

“I decided yesterday; it was a spontaneous decision. It’s the end of my sophomore year,
and I want a change. I want to have some fun with it,” said Emily Liang, sophomore.

Liang said she was nervous to cut her hair. “I haven’t cut my hair in three years, and I
was planning on growing it out until next year, but I decided to do it this year,” said Liang.

Other students are excited to step outside their comfort zone. “I love to live with
adventure, and I think this is an adventure that I’m willing to take,” said Belle Achartz,
freshman.