SDA Sport’s Report 12/5/14

By Kevin Gallagher, Sports Editor

The air’s been getting cooler, the days shorter, and it rained for two whole days this week. This can only mean one thing. That’s right; winter (sports) is coming. Actually they’re already here; I just really wanted that “Game of Thrones” reference. Regardless, the winter sports season has begun and, with it, boys and girls soccer and basketball.

The winter sports season is always a mixed curse for fans. On one hand, going to a game means freezing your butt off for an hour and a half, but on the flip side, it has reportedly been cold enough to drive one infamous tutu-wearing fan into hiding under more layers.

The Girls Varsity Soccer team started the season strong, coming back from Thanksgiving break to immediately get a win on the road against their rival Canyon Crest Academy. Led by player of the match, Senior Miriam Bloom, the girls won the coveted Academy Cup, a trophy given to the winning school. This is the first time in the last four years, prompting many to ask, “Wait, there’s an Academy Cup for Girls Soccer?” They plan to decorate the cup and display it in the trophy case in front of the locker room where it will hopefully stay for a long time.

While the varsity team was traveling, both JV teams faced CCA on Monday as well, but at home. The JV-A team lost a close battle, but the JV-B team was able to successfully defend their home field, squeaking out a victory against the Ravens.

The girls followed up their performance on Monday with another stellar victory on Wednesday at home against Del Lago High School. Preceding the game, the girls built interest with their, shall I say intriguing, pre-game antics of having the whole team dress up in “onesie” pajamas for the whole school day. With their impressive 7-0 win, the girls set high expectations for the season, expectations only outdone by the high expectation for creative game day costumes created by their pajama-based team bonding.

Boys Varsity Basketball also played CCA on Monday, in a preseason tournament at West Hills. Trailing by 7 points late in the game, the boys battled their way back, tying the score at 60-60 with a 3-pointer by top scorer of the day, Senior Bo Templin, who had 15 points in the game. Unfortunately, a last ditch effort by the Ravens put them ahead 62-60 in the dying seconds of the game. The disappointed Mustangs are looking for revenge when they play Canyon Crest later this season at home on Jan. 16.

Wednesday, the boys varsity team continued in the West Hills tournament, facing off against local powerhouse Cathedral Catholic. Though they put up a fair fight, the Mustangs were unable to find their stride as Cathedral took the lead early, then proceeding to control the game to an eventual score of 65-22.

Tonight, the boys hope to change their luck when they continue the West Hills tournament, this time playing a team from Australia.

While the varsity team has yet to find their rhythm, the JV team found its straight away, defeating Pacific Ridge by the commanding score of 56-16 in their first game of the season on Tuesday.

Boys soccer played their first game of the season at home Thursday against Rancho Buena Vista. As RBV was eliminated from the CIF tournament by our Mustangs last year, they were looking for revenge. The Mustangs took the lead early in the first half with an incredible goal by Senior Nathaniel Bloom. They proceeded to stretch the lead with a penalty kick, scored by Senior Gerardo Olvera. Finally, Junior Owen Ereso scored the last SDA goal for the night on a corner kick delivered by Senior Philip Belman. In the second half the Mustangs were unable to score again despite numerous close chances and Rancho Buena Vista was able to slip one past the defense. The Varsity team next plays on Tuesday the 9th, another home game versus Montgomery High School.

The JV boys team also played Rancho Buena Vista Thursday, battling the Longhorns to an eventual 1-1 tie. Additionally, the JV-B boys played their first game against RBV, ending the game abruptly once an opponent injured his wrist and needed to be ambulanced from the field. As they play their games at Oak Crest, where there are no lights, the game was called early. The Mustangs were down by two when the game was ended.

Finally, girls basketball started their season with a home game against Rancho Bernardo on Wednesday. While the girls eventually lost by 19 points, they got a good sense of where they stand so far and are anxiously looking forward to their next game tonight, against Patrick Henry.