Kate Sequeira

Teachers Win Flag Football Second Year in a Row

November 7, 2016

[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”135″ exclusions=”2045,2050,2051,2053,2060,2061,2063,2066″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_slideshow” gallery_width=”480″ gallery_height=”300″ cycle_effect=”fade” cycle_interval=”4″ show_thumbnail_link=”0″ thumbnail_link_text=”[Show picture list]” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”600″]

Many excited students and teachers came together on Friday afternoon for the annual SDA flag-football tournament. Approximately 500 students formed teams, each with a creative name and something resembling a uniform, and played each other until a winning team was determined. The final four teams played against the teachers, who ultimately won the game 6-5. These teams were the Charger Boys, Edward’s Cows, Macho Nacho, and the winning student team, Fet Nation.

The final game was divided into 8-minute quarters, giving each of the four student teams an opportunity to play against a

group of teachers for one quarter. The teams warmed up and huddled together for a last chance to strategize, while the viewers were offered edible treats to enjoy like homemade cupcakes and popcorn. Spirited spectators also enjoyed the humorous commentary provided by junior Gibran Mustafa and Spanish teacher John West.

Even though much of the audience seemed to favor a teacher victory, West said that he was going to be a “traitor” and cheer on the students. In the end, though, both students and teachers were competing for honor and love, according to West.

Eventually, it was game time! The Charger Boys and their opponents walked confidently onto the field.

The first quarter was relatively evenly matched, as it was tied 1-1 until the very end. With a few seconds left, the teachers scored while ABBA’s “Dancing Queen” was played over the loudspeakers. This gave the teachers a one point lead over their students.

In the second quarter, the winning student team, Fet Nation, managed to one-up the teachers, making the score 3-2. Then, it was “halftime.”

In keeping with SDA tradition, spectators were invited onto field to dance. Some danced with small groups of friends, while others gave their peers piggyback rides. Once the mascot joined everyone on the field, many students formed a circle and ran around the beloved mustang.

After halftime was over, viewers made their way back to their seats while trying to dodge flying footballs and avoid slipping on the dewy turf.

The third quarter with Edward’s Cows ended in a 4-4 tie, setting the scene for a competitive fourth quarter.

Macho Nacho was left to play the final quarter of the game. Wearing masks and cropped t-shirts, they walked on to the field. Despite their strong efforts, the teachers won. The final score was 6-5.

Once the game was over, “We are the Champions” was played as the victorious teachers posed for a photo.