Band Takes New Spin on Spring Concert

By Kate Sequeira, Online Editor

Band students performed in The Spring Concert and Awards Night Wednesday, combining music pieces with animation. Band teacher Jeremy Wuertz also handed out awards to students throughout the event, honoring those who had done exceptionally well in band and had improved throughout the year.

Both Wind Ensemble I and Wind Ensemble II performed a few pieces alongside videos displayed on large projectors for the audience. Wind Ensemble II began the concert with “What’s Up at the Symphony,” arranged by Brubaker. It was accompanied an amusing scene with Bugs Bunny.Wind Ensemble I played “Arabesque” by Samuel R Hazo to accompany Walt Disney and Salvador Dali’s short film, “Destino.”

Band students directed a large amount of focus into perfecting the pieces.

“We practiced the music in band rehearsals and sectionals and then once most of the program was polished, we synced the animation parts of the music with our animation,” senior Elizabeth Anderson said.

The bands worked to receive the animated effecting they were aiming for.

“We had to buy special percussion whistles for one of our songs and also had to make sure our song would be able to line up with the chosen animation,” Anderson said.

A favorite of members of Wind Ensemble I was “Rhapsody in Blue” by George Gershwin.

“It’s an amazing composition,” junior Luke Fosgett said. “However, you need a piano player that can handle the extremely demanding solo part and luckily we had Joseph who nailed it.”

Toward the end of the event, seniors were given cords for having participated in band six or more semesters, and the senior slideshow was shown commemorating their work over the last few years.

“I am really sad to be leaving the SDA band after being in it for four years,” Anderson said. “I will miss making music everyday in class and all the incredible friends I have made in the program.”