Jaden Hauptman

Last Thursday, many SDA students participated in the walkout. On Saturday, they can join national marches for change.

Students Prepare for National March

March 21, 2018

Marches will take place this Saturday in Encinitas, San Diego, and Escondido in response to the recent Parkland school shooting that left 17 dead.

The highly anticipated school walkout last Thursday was the first in a sequence of national events calling for action on gun violence. According to their website, the student-led organization “March for Our Lives” has 836 marches scheduled across  the world in countries as far as Israel, Iceland, and South Korea on Saturday.

The marches in San Diego will correspond with the major event in Washington D.C. SDA students will be attending marches across the county.

Senior Margot Richter will be marching at Swamis in Encinitas: “I’m marching because I feel as though there’s no reason any student should ever feel in danger at school. I think it’s most powerful if the message comes from students themselves, as it shows how willing we are to make a change.”

Marches in San Diego will begin at 10 a.m. More information on the march at Swamis can be found on the “March for Our Lives” website.