Madison Vance

Senior Milo Spearman and junior Caeden Schlosser won first place for their piano duet.

‘A Mix of Humor and Talent’ – The SDA Talent Show

March 23, 2018

Dressed in all black, senior Zach Lewis, toting a guitar case, joined junior Caeden Schlosser seated at piano on the stage. Unzipping the case, he dramatically removed a recorder, only a recorder. With a sassy hip pop, eyes closed in focus and a few off notes throughout the performance, Lewis played his recorder with his nose. Creative and hilarious, this act was a crowd-favorite at last night’s Talent Show in the Performing Arts Center.

Featuring 15 different acts of singing and dancing, the winners emerged after the audience gave a thorough drum roll.

First place went to senior Milo Spearman and Schlosser who performed a jazzy, well-rehearsed piano duet. Schlosser said, “It went really well, it’s exactly like we rehearsed it and I don’t think it could have gone any better.” Spearman also performed a solo act and has an album coming out in April on Spotify and iTunes.

Second place was awarded to the senior Lizzie Waters who performed a new original song called “California Style.” Catchy and upbeat, her performance painted a portrait of the fun, California lifestyle. Her rapper alter ego, Lizzie H20, made an impressive performance as well.

There was a tie for third place between junior Arianna Anaya and seniors David Shlesinger and Kylie Ade. Anaya performed a beautiful rendition of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” and Shlesinger sang and played guitar to Jack Johnson’s “Better Together” while Ade interpreted the song in ASL.

Junior Jack Read, the ASB secretary, helped coordinate the talent show and said that it “was a major success in my opinion, far more successful than I could have imagined. It seemed like the audience really enjoyed it. I‘m very proud of the acts, the ASB crew and the theater tech crew.”

The show was well received by parents and students alike. Junior Mike Sturman said, “I think it’s fun to see how talented the people of SDA are because it makes you realize how big of a student body you have and how many little talents these people have that you may have not known about.”

“There were athletes, musicians, actors, comedy sports kids, and teachers, all coming together and enjoying the performance and their fellow students.” said Caeden Schlosser’s father, Bryce Schlosser. For him, the show was “a mix of humor and talent, singers and performers.”

Junior Jeremy Romero, ASB president, said, “I think it’s important for people to know that they have an opportunity to showcase any talent or any voice that they want to share. We’re trying to make this a home, a community, and we can’t foster that without things like this.”