Some students expressed concerns about the Bollywood theme of Prom this year.

Taken from San Dieguito Academy

Bollywood Prom Theme Faces Harsh Criticism from Students

April 27, 2018

This year’s Bollywood prom theme was met with raised eyebrows and skeptical glances when ASB introduced it to the student body. Several students raised concerns about cultural appropriation, and a forum was held on Friday to discuss the concerns of the students and the reasoning from the junior directors.

“We wanted to have this meeting…to educate you guys on what the steps are we took when we went through the process…to make sure that it wasn’t cultural appropriation, but it was cultural appreciation,” said Holly Cook, one of the junior directors who was in charge of planning this year’s prom.

Cultural appropriation or taking things from a culture that is not your own without showing that you understand or respect the culture, was a concern for many of the students that gathered at the meeting mainly because they were worried ASB’s depiction of Bollywood would ridicule Indian culture.

“We felt that we really understood [Bollywood], and we obviously have respect for it,” said junior director Tasha Gardiner. According to Gardiner, the junior directors had been planning prom since last year when they were first elected. They decided on Bollywood to give prom an interesting theme rather than, according to Gardiner, “having every dance be a Winter Ball.”

After doing extensive research, the conclusion was that Bollywood is just a movie industry similar to Hollywood with no ties to nationality or religion. “We didn’t think — we still don’t think — that Bollywood has any connections with Indian religion or culture.” said Gardiner.

The students, however, didn’t seem satisfied.

“There are a lot of ignorant people at our school and I’m worried they’re going to do the culture damage,” said an anonymous student at the meeting.

“We will try to educate more, that’s a valid concern…but we’re just going to be dancing and having a good time. We don’t think anyone is just going to be sitting in a corner and just talking about how bad the theme is,” said Cook, “if it bothers you so much just don’t go to prom…or dwell on the theme.”

Many of the concerns came from the fact that Bollywood, though it didn’t directly represent any religion or race, was undeniably part of Indian culture and was in danger of being misrepresented especially since SDA is primarily Caucasian.

“A lot of Indian actors are discriminated against in Hollywood, which is an American movie business…the story of Bollywood is the story of underdogs, people who can’t always get the same fame in Western culture….Hollywood isn’t associated with our religion, but it’s still America,” said one student.  

“Bollywood only exists because of that pushing down, from the discrimination in Hollywood. It’s like adding insult to injury, saying we’re not accepting you into our culture and then we’re going to mock you.” said Katherine Weinzierl, a senior.

“Some people don’t have the luxury of deciding whether or not to dwell on [the theme]. My friend is half Indian, and she is offended by this theme,” said junior Madeline Laroche. “Including the place where it’s held, the zoo, it’s like an added layer of ‘oh it’s an exotic culture.’”

Many other students wished that the junior directors would have chosen some other theme that wasn’t as controversial.

“They could have done something like ‘Night in the Jungle,’ especially since it’s like, a zoo.” said sophomore Lynn Nguyen. “Like panda masks — that shit is cute. Less controversy.”

According to ASB president Jeremy Romero, junior, it would be too tough to change the prom theme this late into the game, but the junior directors plan to make posts on the school’s social media accounts informing students about the concerns regarding misrepresentation of Indian culture.

“There was just a lot of miscommunication. They did a lot of research, they didn’t want to do a basic theme… but I think it’s really great that we can have a discussion like this,” said Romero.

View Comments (2)
About the Writer
Photo of Joice He
Joice He, Opinions Editor

Live deliciously.

• J

Jennifer HewitsonMay 5, 2018 at 9:46 am

As an alumni and parent of a current student, I want to weigh in on the prom theme controversy.
    I truly appreciate SDA’s difficult position and attempt to put out the fire, I’m just sorry to see where the age of our acute cultural sensitivity and fear of appropriation has taken us.
    I am concerned that our kids’ idea of activism has become negative, preachy and protest for the sake of protest.
    I do however, see another path their sense of activism could take them…Instead of squashing a fun themed party, what if these kids took on the theme as a vehicle for change and education? What if they set up a donation table at the prom to raise funds for impoverished kids in India, for fresh water access in remote villages, or for education, decent schools and education access for girls, or drama and music classes for kids who have none! Instead of worrying about their own feelings, and taking offense, how about tackling deep hardships in the country of origin of that theme, or global hardships in general?
    Our country is one of many cultures, we absorb and appreciate all they have to offer, the art, food, beauty of traditions, garments, and music, with gratitude. Its what makes life interesting.
    I fear we have jumped the shark here. Perhaps we have now entered the age of no luaus, no fiestas or Cinco De Mayo parties, no Chinese New Year or St. Patty’s day celebrations. No more Hawaiian shirts, Neru jackets, Sarongs, kimonos, sandals, bead necklaces, hair wraps etc… We have appropriated, a lot! I feel for the prom committee who worked so hard to create a fun theme, entertainment, and great venue, (venue not intended as insult i might add) all to be squashed. They scrambled to find a non dangerous, insulting, or scary theme to replace it, and I’m sure are feeling badly about how the original theme was received.
    I hope we can look critically at this and find ways to help our kids find constructive ways to make a statement, to be pro active, not negative, to work together, to compromise, find solutions that don’t sabotage their connections, their celebrations, and their sense of fun. Find activism to build not tear down their sense of doing good. As a team they can work wonders, and I bet ASB would have supported an addition of education and fund raising and been happy to participate in a great effort together!
    Thanks to the administration for all you do to keep SDA a solid place where our kids can grow and expand their minds. The world is out there…

Reply
  • T

Thea BrownApr 27, 2018 at 4:25 pm

For the record, many alumni are also very concerned about the theme! There is no way to unlink Bollywood as India’s national film industry as Hollywood as an American film industry! Envoking “Hollywood” always taps into a piece of Americana. You don’t jump to thinking about Euro Arthouse when you say Hollywood. Bollywood is Indian film just as Hollywood is American film and Nollywood is Nigerian film. Just think, SDA’s ASB would never make a theme “Nollywood” and whys that? Because it’s OBVIOUSLY cultural appropriation!

Know that many alumni are upset and disappointed in this theme and would love to see ASB approach this issue from a position of understanding they are wrong and a willingness to learn from their mistakes.

Reply
2