Photo courtesy by Dough McMinimy

From left to right: Junior Serena Herold, College freshman Lily Teisher and Sophomore Layla Curley perform Anthony Rodriguez’s piece at the SDA Dance Ensemble’s showcase Feb.7, 2020

Highlighting the SDA Dance Team

December 13, 2020

The lights are off, your breath feels heavy, and you hear the sound of laughter and footsteps slowly make it closer to the auditorium. Your feet are grounded in a starting position, and a rush of excitement quickly runs through your body. You glance around at your teammates, and they give you a nod of reassurance. The next thing you know, the lights flash on, music starts blasting, and the adrenaline kicks in like no other feeling. The routine flies by, and the crowd’s energy makes all the butterflies worth it. The feeling of accomplishment overtakes your body, and all you desire is to perform again. 

This is what performance feels like for the SDA Dance Ensemble, a team that has been in our school for around three years. However, it wasn’t until last year that they were recognized as an official part of our school. The dance team has been an integral part of the art community representing all styles of dance. Building the SDA Dance Ensemble consists of hardworking dancers and parent volunteers passionate about dance at SDA. 

Sophia Sowinski and Lucie Shamlou, talented dancers and SDA alumnae, launched the Ensemble. “We wanted to bring the dancers of SDA together in a way that was fun but also serious enough to showcase everyone’s talents. SDA is known for arts but has never had a dance program,” Sowinski said. 

The SDA Dance Ensemble is led by the incredible Khamla Somphanh, who brings a sense of professionalism and dance knowledge to the team. 

Khamla Somphanh has had the opportunity to work with many artists and companies in the dance industry.  Somphanh performed with ODC/San Francisco Dance Company and taught at Mills College, ODC Commons, Berkeley Ballet, and Shawl-Anderson Dance Center. Somphanh performed at companies such as Soundance Dance Company (NYC) and Wylliams Henry Contemporary Dance Company (Kansas City). Somphanh values different dance styles and the opportunity to learn from choreographers such as Marrisa Shimano, Anthony Rodriguez, and Thom Dancy. 

COVID-19 impacted the SDA Dance Ensemble due to the inability to meet in person and funding loss. The Dance Ensemble navigated COVID by practicing weekly over zoom and strategizing over executive meetings. 

At the beginning of the year, it was student-run. Ella Decking and Rose Bychowski,  juniors and co-presidents of SDA Dance Ensemble, did a fantastic job keeping the ball rolling, but the team is excited to announce Khamla’s return. 

Being a part of the SDA Dance Ensemble allows you to meet fellow dancers at school and experience new dance and teachers’ styles. 

“Besides getting exposure to different styles of dance and the opportunity to learn from new choreographers, my favorite part of the SDA Ensemble would be the dancers,” Bychowski said. “It’s incredible to have a group of such amazing people who have the same interest as you. There is a feeling of family.”

The future is looking bright for SDA Dance. Keep your eyes peeled for updates regarding the SDA Dance Ensemble on Instagram  @sda_dance_ensemble.