San Dieguito in the ’60s

September 29, 2016

The class of 1966 came to SDA Sept. 23 in front of the bell tower for an alumni reunion to share memories with each other and connect with old friends.

During the tour, alumni remembered first boyfriends, drama and best friends while they reminisced about the good old days. Steven Corey, alumni and part of one of the Encinitas founding families, shared multiple anecdotes about his relationship with his ex-girlfriend and former SDA student Karen La Hais who was also in the tour.

“Behind the Mosaic back in ‘66, I had my first kiss with Karen. We were dating, but [I was nervous] I felt like I was going to throw up,” said Cory.

Their high school days were a time when there was challenge to authority, including over dress codes.
“They had finally removed the dress code, so the fellas were growing their hair longer, and that was as controversial as it got in our time here,” La Hais said.

She said she wrote a column for the local newspaper called On Campus with Callahan (La Hais’s maiden name when she was in high school), where she discussed weekly news and interesting things happening around the SDA campus.