Chain of Voices

By Maddy Campbell, Staff Writer

Senior Kim Quach is taking the initiative in spreading positive feelings across campus. She set up a table by the bell tower on Nov. 15 and 17 at lunch where she handed out slips of paper to the hundreds of people who passed by. The slips prompted students and staff to write about what they care about, stand up for, fight for, live for, or something they want to change.

According to Quach, she will be posting the slips around campus and making them into a chain. She plans to have it hung up in front of the media center or the office before winter break.

Quach named the election as a major issue that prompted her to set this up. “Everyone was running on high emotions and there were lots of opinions that were being thrown around,” she said. “[The slips] are just a chance for you to be proactive and have your voice heard.”

The biggest problem was a lack of ability to be heard, especially among students. “Some people were talking to me after the election about how they felt like their voices weren’t heard or their voices didn’t matter,” she said. “We learn about how voting isn’t the only way to politically participate. They can make it as political as they like and that can be their form of political participation.”

These slips proved to be very helpful in spreading nice feelings. Senior Karla Peña said, “We will not be silenced. If more people were willing to take a step forward and make a difference like Kim, the world would be a brighter place.”

Quach hopes the slips can be a way to help people become more open-minded. “It’s not meant to be like you fill out a slip of paper and you feel completely relieved. This is just a way for people to have that voice and also have a time to reflect,” she said.

She plans to set up this activity and collect more slips after the inauguration in order to keep the emotions of SDA mediated.