Twenty Three SDA Students Chosen for District Honor Band and Choir

By Mallika Seshadri, Assistant Opinion Editor

Eleven SDA students were selected for the district honor band. Additionally, 12 SDA students were chosen to participate in the newly introduced honor choir, with some students participating in both ensembles.

The district honor band and choir is held annually and offers students from each high school in the district the opportunity to audition. When accepted, a student attends several rehearsals under the direction of a guest conductor. The honor band only spends one weekend rehearsing their program, while the choir’s few rehearsals take place throughout December and the beginning of January. These focused rehearsals culminate in a concert held at CCA on Jan. 8.

According to music teacher Jeremy Wuertz, the number of SDA students selected this year is “on par or slightly smaller than last year.” Because of its highly selective audition process, the admitted students play and sing repertoire that is of a more advanced level than what is be played or sang in a typical high school setting.

“It’s always…really valuable to play in an ensemble of other people of that caliber. The only way to get better is to play with better players… [and learn] from guest conductors who have fresh ideas…, [new] perspectives and [ways] of thinking about music… [that develops] your overall concept of artistry,” said Wuertz.

Instead of a live audition, the Honor band participants were selected based on a newly implemented recorded audition, according to Chloe Lighterink, one of the two freshmen from SDA to be admitted to the honor band. The district adopted this audition method a couple of years ago.

“We really wanted to streamline the process, especially for those who are pursuing all-state [honor band] and using a lot of the same [audition material],” said Wuertz. He said with recorded auditions, which in this case are also blind, the judges cannot see the musicians auditioning, so recordings can be listened to objectively and devoid of bias.

However, sophomore Zack Edwards said he prefers live auditions because “of the heightened adrenaline and excitement…. I think recorded auditions tend to produce less interesting music because… you can try many as times as you want to get [it] perfect.”

Edwards also added that in a live audition, “you only have one chance to make an impression and set yourself apart from the competition…. There are so many aspects of a live performance that recordings simply can’t capture.”

The honor band audition for winds included four scales, a chromatic scale and a predetermined excerpt of music, according to Lighterink.

In contrast, singers had to go through a live audition, according to senior Lila Duga. She said their auditions entailed singing the national anthem, matching pitch and determining vocal range (soprano, alto, tenor or bass).

Unlike the honor band, the honor choir auditions were open to students from all performing arts programs, including both music and theater. Of the 12 SDA students selected, nine were from the music program and three were selected from theater, according to Duga.

“It’s always special to be selected…. It just validates all the hard work that you put in and your overall musicianship and dedication to the craft,” said Wuertz.