Principal Bjorn Paige to Hold Next Book Club Monday

By Sylvia Young, Staff Writer

Principal Bjorn Paige will lead his book club in a discussion of a nonfiction work focusing on the lack of empathy in our modern society Monday in the Learning Commons.

The club will meet at 6 p.m. and with discuss the book “Unselfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in our All-About Me World” by Michele Borba, Ed.D.

Paige discusses the relevance of the work because of its ability to change what people think about the way they carry themselves and its effect on others. He noted on his blog that with both teaching and parenthood, “it’s true that what we say is only a part of how we are perceived; what we do, how we carry ourselves, and the lessons we teach when we’re not purposefully teaching lessons does as much to define us in our students’ eyes.”

Borba discusses the lack of empathy due to increased self-absorption in the modern world. She focuses on ways to cultivate empathy in children, such as teachers and adults being kind to all to provide an example for children. Borba also notes the ways empathy helps children and teenagers succeed both professionally and personally by improving collaboration and kindness with others.

Paige welcomes students, parents and staff to join the discussion about this relevant book and the new issues that are resulting from our changing society.
Throughout his time reading the book, Paige has discussed the topics on his blog. If interested, you can read his thoughts here:

Introduction to Unselfie
Developing Empathy
Empathy at School