Band Students Perform at First Ever Band-O-Rama

By Mallika Seshadri, Assistant Opinion Editor

The first ever Band-O-Rama was held on Sunday at La Costa Canyon High School to celebrate instrumental music programs in local school districts, including students from San Dieguito Academy.

This band concert featured fourth through 12th grade students in music programs from Ada Harris Elementary, The Artistry in Music Program (AIM), Oak Crest Middle School, Diegueño Middle School, La Costa Canyon High School and San Dieguito Academy.

The event was held in LCC’s gym and each ensemble (elementary beginner, elementary intermediate, middle school, and high school) was seated in a corner, each facing towards the center of the building.

A combined high school ensemble made up of La Costa Canyon and San Dieguito students was featured in this year’s Band-O-Rama. The high school students performed a light and dance-like piece titled “Joy Revisied” by renowned concert band composer Frank Ticheli and a medley from “Pirates of the Caribbean,” which excited the younger students and got them dancing in their seats.

Before the high school students took the stage, younger students performed. Band-O-Rama started off with a performance by the elementary beginner ensemble, which was comprised of students of the Ada Harris band program and AIM, which introduces music to students in the Encinitas Unified School District. Most of the students in this ensemble were fourth graders whose large instruments looked disproportionate to their little selves. Overall, the ensemble played with pride, and the musicians occasionally waved excitedly to family in the audience.

The elementary intermediate ensemble, made up of students from the same music programs but of a more advanced level, then took the stage. These students did a great job and were very proud to share their efforts with the extended community, which appreciated their work and constantly admired their insane level of cuteness.

A combined middle school group then performed, featuring musicians from Oak Crest and Diegueño middle schools. Under the direction of music teacher Julie Yaeger, they played a more advanced set consisting of two pieces. Their set was fun, upbeat and energetic.

To conclude the performance, all four ensembles played “Raiders March,” a famous movie theme written by film composer John Williams. Once the performance came to an end, kids ran to their parents and everyone assembled outside for a reception where sweet treats were provided.

Aside from celebrating the instrumental music programs in local schools, Band-O-Rama was coordinated with the purpose of fostering collaboration among the different music programs by allowing students to perform with musicians from other schools, according to SDA music teacher Jeremy Wuertz, who was the emcee for the event.

Overall, the event provided the elementary school students the opportunity to hear and play alongside ensembles they may join in the years to come and get a sense of what it is like to pursue music beyond elementary school.

While the elementary school students remained perpetually enthused, the experience for high school students was more emotional. Several upperclassmen, especially seniors, choked up as they were reminded of fond memories of playing in the elementary and middle school ensembles that previously performed.