Junior Holds Book Drive for Children in Kenya

By Madison Vance, Staff Writer

Junior Kara Sagunsky has organized a book drive on campus for the local non-profit organization in Carlsbad called Kids for Peace.

Sagunsky said, “I’m collecting books for the kindergarten through second grade school they have in Kenya, Africa that the organization built last summer. It’s called GE Shiners Kids for Peace School in Kenya. I’m collecting books and then the organization will take them to Kenya this summer.”

The boxes, complete with posters giving information about the drive, appeared in homerooms about a week ago. The end date has been extended so that student can expect to have until the last week of March to make their donations. Homeroom teachers should look out for an email from Sagunsky about pick-up dates.

Sagunsky is looking to collect donations of new or gently used picture books and small chapter books for kids aged 4 to 9 years old.

“I asked [Kids for Peace] what I could help them with and they said they needed books because the kids there are generally illiterate and can always use books,” Sagunsky said. “They are something that they really hold value to and they each get to keep one book and take it home.”

Sagunsky said, “It’s important to me because I really value education and I think it’s really important to give kids the opportunity and the resources to read.”