Jenna Weinhofer

Team Paradox 2102 Hosts FIRST Lego League Qualifying Tournament

November 13, 2017

The SDA Robotics team Paradox 2102 held the FIRST Lego League Qualifying Tournament (FLL QT) on campus Nov. 4 and 5. The team wanted to encourage kids to continue doing robotics through elementary and middle school.

Thirty-five elementary school teams around San Diego County came to participate in two events: the game and the judging. By doing well, 10 teams would advance to LegoLand then possibly the World Championships.

The tournament kicked off with practice rounds. Teams brought in a robot pre-programmed to complete certain missions. Since the theme this year was hydrodynamics, the missions were water-themed like extinguishing a fire and making it rain. While completing the tasks, referees would award points and give penalties. They had two-and-a-half minutes to complete as much as possible.

“It was exciting to see the cheers on the little kids’ faces as they score points,” said junior Cecilia Martinez. “That’s why I like being a referee.”

The teams had the real game after two practice rounds. The competitors and the coaches were cheering on, taking many photos, and excited to see their robot perform.

Besides the game, teams had to go through judging. They had to present their robot design, a project benefiting the community, and what they learned working as a team. The judges asked many questions relating to teamwork, problem-solving, and respect throughout the building season.

“FLL QT was a successful tournament for the teams but also for Team Paradox 2102,” said sophomore Lauren Linden. She and her team were able to get kids interested the STEAM field at a young age.

“We like holding this event because we are able to interact with kids,” said sophomore David Salzmann. “It is amazing to see how enthusiastic and adorable they are.”