Patrick Hall

Students Get Down at the Welcome Back Dance

September 28, 2016

This past Friday night, SDA held the Welcome Back Dance in front of the library. Seniors Natalie Shields and Gabi Gjata were in charge of planning the dance.

Overall, the dance was successful. Most students participated in the western theme by dressing in flannels, overalls, and cowboy boots.

This dance, ASB hired a new DJ. For the first half of the dance the music was mediocre, but towards the end the DJ definitely picked it up. The DJ even responded to specific song requests, such as “Low” and “Single Ladies,” and played music that people could sing along to.

Near the end of the dance, many seniors formed a group and were dancing on the stairs. This was something new that I have never witnessed over the past four years. Usually everybody stays in the sweaty middle, but this time it was nicely spread out. ASB also set up other activities for those who did not only want to dance. There was a photo booth and temporary tattoos; students got really creative with the tattoos; senior Jonny Gordon got “bad girl” tattooed on his neck.

The most intense moment of the whole dance was when I was helping ASB clean up. A woman who lived nearby stormed onto campus with a noise complaint and immediately started screaming at Jeanne Jones, assistant principal. She yelled, “This is disgraceful! It’s 10:30! My grandmother went to this school!”

Obviously she doesn’t realize that we do this every year. So hopefully her threat to “get the superintendent” doesn’t follow through ;). In all, I think it was a great first Welcome Back Dance for the freshmen and it was a great last one for the seniors. Everybody left exhausted but happy.