Luke Oldham

Girls Volleyball: SDA vs Westview

September 16, 2016

The SDA girls volleyball team played a close match Thursday night against the Westview Wolverines. The match ended after four exciting sets that challenged the Mustangs, proving that they are a force to be reckoned with this season.

The Mustangs entered Thursday night on somewhat of a hot-streak, winning their previous three games. SDA was forced to bring in five new players from their JV and Freshman teams after losing five seniors last year. The new players impressed me, especially middle blockers, junior Holly Teisher and sophomore Chloe Pejouan.

As always, the Mustangs were led in kills by junior Sarah Colla with 18. Senior Kiani Kerstetter played a fantastic game at the libero position, grabbing 24 digs and saving the Mustangs on multiple points. Senior Savannah Casey also showed leadership and veteran skills by scoring with some well-placed hits.

The first game ended in a nail biter, 22-25, with the Mustangs in defeat. But the next two games were controlled easily by SDA, ending in a combined score of 50-32. However, the fourth game was the one that got the crowd excited.

The score was even throughout most of the game, and at one point a Westview hitter slammed the ball down onto the Mustangs defense, Kerstetter got her hands down in time only to send the ball skyrocketing up into the rafters, where it bounced around the basketball hoop and fell through the net. The crowd went wild demanding 3 points for the made shot but had no success.

The Mustangs broke ahead 22-19 following some quality play by senior Kiahna Holmen, but then lost some points and found themselves tied at 24-24. With the fans on their feet and the energy high, the Mustangs won the next two points to finish the game 26-24 in an exciting fashion.