Photo by Tucker Oien

Girls volleyball prepares for third set

SDA girls volleyball dominates first home game

Girls volleyball team takes a 3-0 win over Vista in their first home game of the season.

September 1, 2021

San Dieguito Academy Mustangs’ Girls Indoor volleyball took their first win at home against the Vista Panthers in a 3-0 sweep Thursday night. . 

The team took set one 25-13,  set two 25-16 and the third and final set 25-15. The team played very well together, featuring strong hits, serve receives, and serves to win the sets and ultimately the game.

After the game, varsity setter Sydney Randolph said, “[I’m] looking forward to the season. There’s a bunch of great girls on the team and we’re looking pretty good so far!” 

Head Coach William Raschke spoke about what kind of program he’s trying to build, how the team needs to improve and his hopes for the season. He wants his team members to prioritize their health and as an educator he wants academics to be prioritized and finally athletics. He hopes the team can be a “supportive group that can embrace failures, and have a growth mindset”. He talked about how the team needs major improvement on their defense but surprisingly they have been performing very well on offense. He hopes the team can perform well together throughout the season and become a competitive D2 team.

The SDA Mustangs will go on to play Mission Bay High School at their high school next week.