Two Score Hat-Tricks in Girls Soccer Game Versus Mater Dei

By Devin Gaan, Staff Writer

Girls varsity soccer had their first home game of the 2016-17 season Monday, in which they versed Mater Dei Catholic High School in their third match of the preseason Bonita Vista Barons Tournament, winning 8-0. Having won their previous two games, the Mustangs were looking to carry their momentum into a matchup with a team hungry for a win after having drawn their last match over the weekend.

Following their recent results, the girls soccer team was optimistic about the coming game and the approaching league season.

“I’m really excited to build the program up and raise the level of play. A lot of people think that since we’re in a new league this year it’ll be a detriment, but I think it’ll improve the program overall,” said senior Maia Nelson.

Nelson was among the multitude of injured players who were out for the Mustangs, a group that also included expected starters such as senior Tina Bullington and junior Nadia Haghani. This meant that a lot of the younger players on the team were going to be counted on to step up and cover the absences of seven key players for the Mustangs. As the game started, it quickly became apparent that this would be no problem for the underclassmen.

Possession in the beginning of the game remained for the most part in the midfield as both teams were taking their time feeling out their opponents. But at the ninth minute, SDA broke through the Mater Dei defense to make an attempt on goal, a goal that unexpectedly came when junior Brittney Reppenhagen launched a lobbed pass that erratically sailed right towards the Mater Dei keeper. It should have been an easy catch for the goalie, but poor hands led to the ball slipping right between her legs and nestling into the back of net.

The first goal of the match seemed to open the floodgates, as SDA proceeded to dominate possession in Mater Dei’s half of the field and fire repeated shots at the unfortunate Mater Dei keeper. The Mustangs recorded six goals by half-time, courtesy of efforts from Reppenhagen and junior Ava Patton as well as a beautiful first-half hat-trick from sophomore Yari Sequeira.

One could tell the game was already over entering the second half, as the Mater Dei Crusaders looked visibly defeated coming onto the pitch. The Mustangs switched to a more defensive focus, passing the ball around in their half of the field and generally playing at a more relaxed pace. A shot from junior Jenna Templin and another goal to complete a hat-trick from Reppenhagen sealed the victory for the Mustangs, with the final score listed as 8-0.

The Mustangs were in good spirits following their win, as Reppenhagen and Sequeira both recorded their first hat-tricks of the season. “It was fun and cool especially because those were the first goals I’ve scored during high school soccer,” said Reppenhagen.

“We all clicked really fast so we all had a lot of fun. I’m very proud of my team so far and I can’t wait to continue with them into the preseason and season,” said junior Julia Honda.