Students Dance to Japanese Music

By Kate Sequeira, Online Editor

Students gathered outside of the PAC today for a Homeroom Olympics event put together by Japanese teacher Rie Tsuboi’s homeroom. The activity was organized as a part of the “Taking Care of Each Other” event that has been going on throughout the semester in which homerooms have created their own events to relieve student stress.

The homeroom put together a dance lesson to the theme song “Maru Maru Mori Mori” from the Japanese TV show “Marumo no Okite,” a family drama that aired in 2011.

“We came up with the idea because our homeroom, being the Japanese homeroom, wanted to create a fun activity that also shared Japanese culture with other SDA students,” said senior Natalia Pinpin, who was one of the students leading the dance.

Before putting on the event, the students leading the dance spent time learning and practicing the choreography.

“Most of us were familiar with the dance from doing it in Japanese class or for Airbands, but we used spare time during homeroom and Japanese class to memorize the choreography,” Pinpin said.

Pinpin was happy about the outcome of the event.

“The goal of our event was for people to express themselves through movement and not worry about anyone judging them for it. I think we successfully met that goal,” she said.