Community Day, Free Expression and More at the Forum

November 18, 2016

Students said SDA should provide more suggestions to treat mental health issues a the November Forum today. Senior Blake Stoner-Osborne and junior Anna Whalen led the meeting, which was formatted differently than past Forums to encourage a more inclusive discussion.

Instead of beginning with the usual announcements and topics to be discussed, as has been done in the past, students sat in table groups and shared one thing they liked about SDA and one think they didn’t like about SDA. This generated a conversation that opened up to everyone in the classroom, regarding how the school could change to fix some of the concerns students had about the school.

One of the primary topics brought up was the possibility of altering the format of Community Day, or adding an entirely new school event, to more effectively allow students to voice their thoughts, opinions, and emotions. Senior Veronica Ness suggested altering the focus of Community Day to provide students with treatment options and ways to help deal with issues they’re struggling with rather than simply allowing them to “open up.”

Students also raised concerns about the tolerance of differing opinions on campus, especially because the majority of SDA students consider themselves to be liberals. Senior Natalie Cornacchione proposed a monthly event where students could gather to discuss current events in an effort to understand opposing ideas and generate respectful, meaningful conversation.

Other ideas brought up included a new Mental Health Club to be facilitated by James Hrzina, the lack of attendance at SDA sports games, and the possibility of reviving the Spring Dance.

View Comments(1)
About the Contributors
Photo of Linnea Leidy
Linnea Leidy, Opinion Editor

“You know what pisses me off?!...”

• K

KimNov 18, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Yay!! But don’t forget the topic of funding and supporting SDA Sports teams!

Reply
1