Mindfulness, Time Capsules, and More at the Forum

By Kieran Zimmer, Features Editor

At today’s Forum, students and administration gathered in room 60 to discuss coming events such as the importance of and activities planned for CAASPP testing, as well as the planned time capsule for the soon-to-be-finished buildings, and mindfulness inside and outside of school.

The discussion, fueled by free pizza, opened with a conversation led by Assistant Principal Brieahana Weatherford on the upcoming CAASPP testing, to begin on March 27. Juniors are required to take the full test, which will take place over four days and this year will be administered on computers.

Sophomores are required to take a life science test, except unlike previous pencil-and-paper tests, it will also be taken electronically. In addition to the test itself, many activities have been planned for seniors and underclassmen such as a career fair, a motivational speaker, and a bullying prevention workshop hosted by X-Games athletes.

Another important topic brought up was that of mindfulness, which will be coming to SDA in many different forms in the foreseeable future. One of these is a workshop (with a 250 student limit; talk to Weatherford or ASB adviser Rod Keillor if you are interested) on mindfulness and decision-making hosted by motivational speaker Robert MacPhee. Another is a family forum, open to students and their parents, to happen after school on March 22, which will feature sessions where families can learn mindfulness techniques. In addition to these, Homeroom Olympics is to introduce a new event which will take place all throughout second semester in which individual homerooms will plan events aimed to improve the general well-being of fellow students.

In terms of construction, Assistant Principal Robert Caughey brought up the issue of the retention basin’s (the big hole with the plants next to the gym) orange fencing, which administration is hoping to take down soon. However, there is concern that students will walk through the basin, damaging its structure. One idea was proposed by senior Blake Stoner-Osborne to commission arts classes to build a wall of sculptures around the basin.

Finally, students discussed which items to place in the time capsule that is to be put in with the newly constructed buildings in the fall, with the only criteria being that objects must be less than 18 inches long and preservable. One well-received idea was proposed by junior Jack Severson, that an iPod shuffle be filled up with today’s popular music and be placed in the capsule.