Emma Toscani

SDA’s robotic team, Team Paradox, took part in in the parade.

SDA Students Participate in Encinitas Holiday Parade

December 5, 2017

The annual holiday parade took place on the Dec. 2 , and SDA participated in four separate floats including the robotics club, Wind Ensemble, surf team, and the Japanese Honors Society. There were also SDA students featured as part of outside of school activities like Handel’s Ice Cream and Wave Volleyball Club.

One of the floats that went down the 101 was the robotics float, showing the gleaming faces of the SDA students and their Frisbee-tossing robot. Junior Jana Roper, a member of the club, was happy to participate.

“We have both of our robots. We have last year’s robot and a robot we call our Frisbee robot… We are going to be shooting Frisbees at the back of our robot,” said Roper as she prepared for the parade.

Another entourage was the SDA band, which played well known songs on their various instruments, including drums with glow-in-the-dark drumsticks.

Before he marched, junior Matthew Cheng said, “I have to dance and then I have to go into the crowd and high-five people.”

Additionally, the Japanese Honors Society showed a display of cultural appreciation, wearing traditional Japanese kimonos and uchiwas. One of the officers of the organization donated the car that the Society members bedazzled with lights. Junior Taylor Cannon said, “I was a part of the parade last year so I got a taste of it, but last year there was only seven people.This year we have so many more people since more people are interested, so I think this year is going to be much better.”