Senior Out: Day Four

By Jack Salz, Staff Writer

It seems as though there are two types of people in this world. Those who play Senior Out and those who don’t. The distinction here is not whether or not they bought a $5 Senior Out ticket, but that they realize that the tickets cost only $5.

Are you the type of person that clings to their friends between classes and attaches themselves to an underclassman via a five foot rope? Or are you, like me, the type that walks through the halls just as they would on a normal day, casually answering questions like “Are you playing?” or “Who got you out?”

We don’t dislike the game, I think we can all agree it’s a fun idea, but there’s a point where you have to ask yourself, how much stress am I willing to bring into my life today? When I look around and see seniors sprinting between classes and quickly dispersing at the sound of the bell that ends a passing period, it seems to be much more effort than it is worth.

There’s also a subdivision of students that will scheme to no end to gain information on their fellow players. They work together to form master lists and are willing to betray their friends to gain information. Due to my own apathy, I fell victim to this vicious cycle and within two days my target was well aware that I had them, furthering my apathy even more.

Finally, today I was waiting to meet up with friends to head off campus when, in my over confidence, I stepped off the main path to lean against the walls of counseling office. This decision was swiftly followed with a polite tap on the shoulder and some brief laughter that ended with me handing over my Senior Out card. I wished them good luck and we went on our way. I’ll admit I was hoping to survive until the end of the game without exerting any effort, but I suppose I can be apathetic about this too.

At least now my person doesn’t know who has her now.