Teachers Dabble in Improv

By Megan Levan, Staff Writer

Friday’s Comedy Sportz teacher game was highly anticipated by SDA students and teachers alike. As an enormous crowd gathered in the PAC, audience members chatted excitedly about who would be playing.

The red team’s starting line-up included seniors Eric Wimsatt and Yoni Kruvi, history teacher Kelly Hawkins, and team captain/principal extraordinaire Bjorn Paige. The blue team started with seniors Jack Salz and Daniel Magnuson, Spanish teacher Sean Floyd, and librarian Kalani Crosby.

The red team chose the first game, “What You Got?” After a close match, the voice (aka social science teacher Stephen Fisher) announced the tied score of 5 to 5.

Next, from the red team, came a witty game of “Good, Bad, Worse,” in which Paige gave his bad advice under the name Robert Caughey, assistant principal of SDA. When asked what to do if one’s favorite principal was leaving, Paige remarked that he heard that a quarter of the student body was about to leave the school as well and that the person asking the question should be just as worried about them.

The blue team countered with “Four Square” and were able to pull out a win after Crosby’s “Swish and flick” Harry Potter reference, making the score 10 to 5.

Then came “1,3,5,7” from the red team, in which the players could only talk in sentences of a certain number of words designated by the audience. The blue team chose “Slow-mo Olympics,” in which Magnuson and Crosby performed competitive (and incredibly violent) snow shoveling. The red team won and tied the score again at 10 to 10.

On a whim, the referee decided to double both teams scores because “Why not?” making the score 20 to 20.

Both teams then went head-to-head in the game “185,” telling “185 ____s walked into a bar” jokes as fast as they could think of them.

The game was close at halftime with blue up by just one point, at 28-29.

Auto shop teacher Curt Erales, math teacher Paul Brice, and English teacher Kerri Leonard joined the teams after halftime, and newbie Leonard quickly pulled out a win for the red team after a very punny corn joke in “Expert Challenge,” although the audience got a real kick out of the blue team’s Erales smothering himself in butter.

Upon starting the last game of the night, the red team was winning 149 to 153 after numerous freebie point giveaways to both teams from the generous referee. “Dance Party” ended the game on a hilarious note with the red team winning by just 2 points, 157 to 159.